Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Things that just don't translate...

As a supposed expert in the English language (I speak the lingo, therefore I must surely be able to handle the posts of Technical/Marketing Writer, GUI Designer, Teacher or Translator - and don't forget my abilities as a walking Thesaurus...ahem...), there is many a time when I come across words/expressions in Hebrew that just DO NOT WORK in English. I'm sure they exist in every language (I'm not even going to start thinking about the complexities of English, though I know I'm going to suffer a slow and painful death in trying to explain idioms like 'get a kick out of something' to Mr C...), but here are my own personal favourites that I regularly come across:

1. Mashu, mashu = something, something
2. Sof ha derekh = the end of the way
3. Haval al ha zman = shame about the time
4. Ata 10! = you're 10!
5. Sim ayin = put an eye
6. Ma nishma? = what is heard?
7. Ma pitom! = what suddenly!
8. Kfotz li = jump to me
9. Nafal ha-asimon = the phone token fell *
10. Yoffi toffi = beautiful toffee

*When was the last time you actually saw an 'asimon'? Could you imagine a self-respecting Israeli teenager actually carrying one of these in their pockets today?! How would you repackage them in today's telephony market when competing with SMS, a variety of ringtones and games? Buy one, get 50 free?...