Sunday, February 01, 2004

February and family...

Welcome to February...that makes anglosaxy one month old!

< pointless trivia >
Hope you all realise that this month is a leap February, and for all of us who love to turn up at work on a Sunday morning, there are going to be 5 Sundays this month...the first time that has happened since 1976. And I thought February was a short month...
< /pointless trivia >

Israeli families, love 'em or hate 'em, they are here to stay...I really don't know how they stand it, but my in-laws, love 'em as much as I do, really cannot get enough of each other! They not only work together in the family business, which means they work (and fight) together 5/6 days a week, but they seem to love spending time together at the weekends as well...Yesterday was a classic example, though the get together was magnified out of all proportion with invites extended to some uncles and aunts...a quaint, little gathering of some 40 people.

Now, if this was once every couple of months, I would say OK, I could understand the want to get together, but this happens A LOT. I know it's not just a 'Jewish thing', as I have a couple of immigrant friends who are regularly looking for reasons to bunk off from the Shabbat tribal gatherings, and they came here for largely Zionist reasons...Maybe I need to have a couple of kids to appreciate the values of this close-knit family unit idea or maybe I was just unlucky in falling for a Iraqi-Iranian sex goddess...whatever the reason, I can't see these gatherings as more than a waste of a whole Saturday, as they invariably end up taking up most of the day, despite mrs. anglosaxy's assurances that 'we'll go after an hour or two'.

For those of you looking for a way out, I think I might have stumbled upon a solution...yesterday I mentioned to 2 of mrs. anglosaxy's nephews that I have a few new games for my PlayStation, including Dragonball Z, an apparent hit with the kids in this country. So, thanks to their hysterical enthusiasm, I 'forced' myself to take them back to our place (5 minutes drive away) and show them the game...Total time with the extended tribe: 1 hour...be warned, this solution has been copyrighted...