Sunday, March 21, 2004

Scratch, scratch...

Blimey, that was quick! 7 years ago today (what was that? 7 year itch? Mmmmm...), around this very hour, I took a younger, some might say more naive, mrs. anglosaxy on our first date. As first dates go, ours was the stuff of legends...

I picked her up on my fancy 50cc scooter (I know how to impress...) from a fancy neighbourhood in North Tel Aviv. Papa anglosaxy (to be, of course...) peered over the gate apprehensively to check out the lout that was leading his only daughter astray - I wasn't intimidated. Telling the young princess to hold tight ("no, tighter!"), we roared down towards Yafo. I had a picnic in mind because I wanted to impress - I was sure she thought I was just one of those tourists who drank and spent all day on the beach (well, she wasn't far wrong!) - so, in order to sweep her off her feet I had sliced up some kiwis, and brought along some legendary bamba, and a small bottle of wine. After finding a nice little spot overlooking the sea and the Tel Aviv coastline, the charm offensive moved into gear.

After dazzling her with my repertoire, she decided to play her ace, suggesting we go to see her friend who worked in a cool cafe. I knew I was being sized up, but it looked like I was on a winner, especially when her hand slipped into mine. We drank a coffee or two and then decided to go with her friend's suggestion of a movie. The movie, Secrets and Lies, was a bit of an anti-climax, though we thoroughly enjoyed each other's company [censored].

We exited hand-in-hand, probably both feeling that this was the start of something big...but after something like 8 hours together, we hadn't had enough. I took her home, where we talked and drank more coffee, while I was a little apprehensive this time, anticipating the entry of her parents at any minute. My good luck carried through, though, as I managed to exit the house without bumping into them on their way in...I probably wouldn't have noticed them at this point anyway, what with me floating on some cloud or other...

If you think you can beat that first date I'd like to know how...