Sunday, April 25, 2004

Dear < enter the name of your favourite agony aunt >,

Friday morning we decided to go and check out the rental situation in Tel Aviv (looks like the sexy Rosh Ha'ayin has hit the recycle bin for now...). It helps that mrs. anglosaxy's brother is in the real-estate bizzness, he has access to all the places to rent in Tel Aviv via a unique database he subscribes to. Don't tell anyone though, it's apparently hush-hush amongst the real-estate pros...God forbid they lose the commission they work so hard for. Anyway, there are a number of decent places in Tel Aviv, the problem is finding somewhere that can double as a small language school.

Actually, I think I know what I want to do with this school idea. I want to start small, but be very professional (I don't have the finances to start something big). I have some creative ideas for getting people interested in learning English (and no, it doesn't involve beer...) and I know from the feedback I've had so far that they would prove popular. I also realize that, until I get big enough to tackle Berlitz or Wall Street (oo-er, that might take a while!), it's all about location, location, location...There is one location that I currently have my eyes on which I feel is perfect. The only problem is it would involve renting out office space from mrs. anglosaxy's family and I'm not sure I want to go down that road. It would also mean changing our plans about renting a place, because we probably wouldn't need the extra space for a classroom any longer. I'm fairly flexible about it all, it's the other half...she's worried that I'm "running before I can walking" (her words, she has a lesson booked for tonight...). She has a point, but I'm not talking about renting 1000m of office space, I'm thinking of one classy room where I can sit up to 5 or 6 people in comfort, with all the basic school facilities, such as board, TV, PC/laptop. Not that adventurous surely? Or is it simply a woman's natural instinct for safety and security clashing with her male's desire for independence and fortune?

So, after running this through my head constantly over the weekend, in between steaks and kebabs on Saturday afternoon, I'm currently a little perplexed. If you have any good advice, please feel free to leave a comment.

Yours,

Confused, Tel Aviv

P.S. Please don't let mrs. anglosaxy convince me that we should watch 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' again. It has now been officially classed as a 'girlie' movie.