Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Post-seder

OK, so I lied, it never got close to 60 people last night. I promised a head count, but in the end it was fairly difficult to do so, what with the open-door policy and the constant comings and goings of family members. I'd say it averaged around 30-35 at any one time, which was quite surprisingly low. Apparently a few family members were doing the seder at their in-laws, hence the low number (though a few did turn up later). Unfortunately, that meant no drinking partner, the cousin I expected to turn up was at his in-laws. But never fear! I can overcome these hiccups with barely a glance backwards...

I have to say I was quite proud of myself last night. In all the years I've been here, I've never read from the Haggadah, the traditional book which tells the story of Pessach/Passover. My Hebrew is reasonably good but I've always felt a little embarrassed to even try as the Hebrew is so ancient and different. This year there were a few Hebrew-English versions, so I decided to entertain everybody and read out my section in English. It was actually a laugh, but I'm sure the constant refills of wine had something to do with that. I usually feel a bit of an outsider during the reading of the Haggadah, but this time it felt good to join in, even that little bit more special as I was the only one reading in English...

Anyway, the balagan was a lot less than anticipated (only 3 or 4 kids!), while the food was as good as ever. Can't wait for next year (er, right...), though I expect normal service (=balagan!!) to be resumed.

Today has been a slow day: some recovering from the small hangover, taking Z down the beach for a run, reading Robert deNiro's biography, eating at momma anglosaxy's...later it's Champions League football with my boys up against Chelsea, then a trek around the house to change the clocks. Israel Summer Time happens tonight. Not a good deal for mrs. anglosaxy, as she has to work tomorrow...