Friday, May 14, 2004

Hit list # 1

"Baby come back!" I chirped in my best Eddy Grant impression, as the leasing company informed me that my car is on its way back to me. That means I can start listening to my compilation CD once again (which I had left in the car, thinking that it would be back the same day...I never learn).

For those of you interested, and I know you all are, below is a rundown of just what has been popping my cork the last few days. Just a word of warning, I was very tough during the compiling process, only British bands between 2000 and 2004 made it to the playlist (sorry Britney!):

1. Great opening from a band who have it all: The Darkness with "I believe in a thing called love".
2. Continuing in the catchy rock theme: The Cult with "Nico".
3. Thought it was about time I gave some unknowns their big break: The Music with "Human".
4. Another fairly unknown band, who had a smallish hit with this pounding beast: A (yes, they are called "A") with "Nothing" (couldn't find a link for them).
5. A very familiar tune now, especially for followers of the Fox adverts on Israeli TV (you know, the one with Yael Bar Zohar and whats-his-face, where the whole advert is filmed backwards): Placebo with "Special Needs".
6. OK, so Britney kind of makes it onto the playlist, with this acoustic, live (you even hear the crowd laughing), and much improved version of her first hit: Travis with "Baby one more time".
7. Time for some classic pop rock from up North: The Doves with "There goes the fear" (probably my favourite track on the disk).
8. Easily one of the catchiest tunes on the radio over the last couple of months: Franz Ferdinand with "Take me out".
9. Always place for these legends: Depeche Mode with a track from the Exciter album, "Shine".
10. Yes, even poppy, dancy tunes make it to the list: Kosheen with "All in my head".
11. What, another poppy, dancy tune?: Groove Armada with "Suntoucher" (try stopping your fingers from tapping to this one when driving, I dare you...).
12. One of my heroes from the 80's and still going strong: Dave Gahan, the lead singer of Depeche Mode with his first solo effort "Dirty Sticky Floors".
13. A band who have been hyped up way too much, but this is the only song that is worth its mustard: The Streets with "Let's push things forward".
14. A second helping of The Doves with "Pounding".
15. One of the biggest bands around now, this was their first hit, some 4 years ago: Coldplay with "Yellow".
16. This just about made it onto the list, a little too soothing for this list maybe, but a great song: David Gray with "Babylon".
17. Closing with a second helping of The Darkness with "Love is only a feeling".

For details on how to order your copy, please contact me at: anglosaxy@makeyourowncdyoulazygit.com.