Sunday, September 12, 2004

Speedy Gas-salez

Bloody Hell! How about this for service...

We ran out of gas on Friday night (in Israel, gas usually comes bottled), just as I was in the middle of one of my Naked Chef impressions. I wasn't starkers but I was in fine form, rustling up some pasta with tuna and cherry tomatoes. Anyway, this morning mrs. anglosaxy ordered a replacement. We paid the extra 20 shekels to ensure that it arrived within a guaranteed 48 hours. Otherwise, what with the Jewish New Year coming up, we might have had to wait until next week.

Five minutes later, I KID YOU NOT, there was a knock at the door. It was the delivery guy with a gas bottle perched on his shoulder. After picking myself up off the floor, I asked him how the hell did he get here so quick. He told me that he was in the neighbourhood and the office had caught him in time on his walkie-talkie. I've a good mind to call Rafi Ginat and his consumer affairs program 'Kolbotek' - this kind of service just isn't on. This is Israel for chrissake!

Hot momma and poppa anglosaxy tip for anyone running out of gas and needing just enough to fry an egg; boil a kettle of water and then pour the water over the gas canister. Hey presto, another 2-3 minutes gas...