Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Feeling it

This jetlag malarky aint much fun...I'm feeling a bit more lively this morning, but yesterday evening I really struggled through the English lessons. A fair bit of yawning was going on, stifled as much as possible of course, but it wasn't helped by my student who was quite literally yawning his ass off (he'd had a long day and arrived late for the lesson, so I'm fairly content to believe that the lesson wasn't that boring).

And as for the return to reality, whoever said you need a holiday after returning from a holiday was right on target...I'm trying to get my head round a number of ideas and finding it hard going. And as per every return to Israel, I'm questioning my desire to be here. Being of goyish persuasion (non-Jew) and permanently itchy feet, I sometimes ask myself just what the heck I am doing here...this feeling usually wears off after a few days, but even this time mrs. anglosaxy is ready to uproot herself and plant herself in a new location. Those English teaching jobs in Shanghai/Beijing currently flooding my inbox suddenly look very appealing. I just told a corridor inmate about my being born and bred in Hong Kong and she finally understood my love for the Far East. It's hard to explain and put in words, but the last two times I've landed in Hong Kong it's felt like "coming home"...Esteemed forebear, I blame the Chinese nanny! All those sweet nothings she used to whisper in my ear...you thought she was telling me what a gorgeous, cuddly little buggar I was, well, it was all part of a master plan to brainwash another laowai.

Talking of corridor inmates, the sari-bedecked O returns to Israel today, looking forward to swapping tales over a beer...

Well, what can I say, watch this space...