Friday, October 29, 2004

Wrong circles

Maybe I move in the wrong circles (OK, there's no maybe about it), but in my world, my circle of friends/family/corridor colleagues, there's been no mention of the events of this week in this neck of the woods (votes to get out of Gaza, the 9th anniversary of Rabin's death and Noddy's flight to Paris). These events are big, but I wonder how much they really hit the average person on the street.

Just last night I was eating sushi in Kai, my favourite sushi place, with another 7 friends. Not once did anybody raise the subject, or get anywhere near it. I did three full days in the corridor this week. Not a word. And does mrs. anglosaxy ever bend my ear? No chance. I don't think it's down to me that these subjects aren't raised, because I like to think I'm well up on current affairs and world issues (in particular, Arsenal's world domination), but does the average person (I'm excluding Gaza settlers here, awfully sorry) really talk about these events? Do they huddle over beers/coffee and discuss the pros and cons of Noddy's impending departure? I don't think so...

All this reinforces my opinion that this blog will just keep on about life and stuff in Israel, no politics for you lot...