Friday, December 24, 2004

Xmas is alive and kicking!

Went down to the Central Bus Station last night, felt like being 'hutz la'aretz' (abroad). It's been a long time since I was last there, and boy, did it feel strange. I even used to live across the road from the place (quite literally 20 metres, but you don't want to know about those days...), but today it just seems to be an enclave of Ruskies and Ethiopians, with the odd soldier wandering around. We walked into a couple of shops and the shop assistants spoke Russian with us, their Hebrew wasn't great. Like why would they need to speak Hebrew round this part of town anyway...

The main reason for our visit was to see the Xmas section on the ground floor. Some entrepreneurial types have set up a few stalls and brought Xmas to the Jews (though 'spot the Jew' can easily be played in this neck of the woods) - at a price I might add (nothing's cheap). There are some great little gifts, lots of Xmas trees for sale and tons of ornaments for the tree. I bought myself a nice little Santa hat.

I caught this foreign worker (not sure of his origin, but looks Thai) showing his daughter around the stalls. Must be great for the kids to get some of the Xmas spirit, most of them probably don't have a clue what it's all about, being born and raised here.



This little section surprised me, I've never seen so many artificial trees in my life. Mrs. anglosaxy was quite taken with the white trees but she soon changed her tune when I told her they're only for old grannies with poodles. Next year we are definitely upgrading our tree!



And finally, some Santas and tinsel, what more do you need at Xmas?



Well, I'm starting with the beers, after watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Tomorrow I'll have a quick post for you, which may hold a surprise or two.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!