Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Give me strength, again...

Continued...

Soul destroying. I think that's the expression I'd use to describe my office environment. I was thinking about it on the drive-in to work this morning. And then hearing O's description about how she was forced to come in on Friday and work until 11pm, hammered in the nail...

Listen, I'm sure there are hi-tech companies who really look after their workers and spoil 'em rotten whenever they get a chance. Or maybe not. Whatever. I just know that I gave my all to this place in my first year or so, was eaten up, chewed up and spat out and have been looking for the Exit sign ever since. O is being shat on from a great height but is only now beginning to hear the whhoooosshh as it heads her way.

Once upon a time I loved saying I worked in Israeli hi-tech, and there was a time when it was definitely the industry to be in. The love affair ended with the burst of the Nasdaq bubble and the subsequent cutbacks. Never mind. I'm pissed at myself for putting up with the shit. Then again, I've come through at the other end of the tunnel with probably the easiest tech writing job in the country. Really. Nobody has it easier than me, trust me.

And there lies the problem. Because it's not just the mindless meetings that bore me shitless, it's the lack of a challenge, the lack of any real impetus to my day. My boss has even told me that she won't fire me. How scary is that? I'm locked in for good, unless...

...I make a move, for better or for worse, into the realms of the self-employed. My school idea is taking off nicely, picking up the odd student here and there and learning a lot of business tricks and treats along the way. More of which I'll post about in the coming days. So you can see the direction in which I'm moving, right?

Ha ha! You're almost right...!

To Be Continued...