Friday, November 18, 2005

Give me strength

I have to take my hat off. Really.

I have no idea how they do it, but some people just enjoy slaving away at Corridor Land the Labyrinth. They simply know no other way. They simply wouldn't have it any other way. They'll bend over backwards, turn themselves inside out, and then pull out any last remaining hair just to make sure that that button which underwent endless redesign for 6 months still displays a 10 word error message when clicked...

Surely the software running their brains is of an outdated and no longer supported version? I sit and watch them toiling over life and death decisions - mmm, red or dark blue for the text? - and just chuckle, quietly, knowingly...the day will surely come when that upgrade will bring them back into the real world. A world that will no longer revolve around dialog boxes and databases and other words beginning with 'd'...

Me, I'm struggling to hold on to the facade that my upgrade is obviously no longer compatible with. I come in to the office, slide my chair over the polished parquet, tuck myself in alongside my computer and hardly move for the next few hours. It's draining me, this constant compatibility problem. It ain't me. It's some other poor buggar hitting those keys...some other buggar toiling away, fixating on the monthly paycheck while his upgraded brain maps a brilliant future out...

To Be Continued