Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Finding Teach

So, I'm looking for a teacher to help out around my school. In fact, to basically take over teaching the kids, while I concentrate on the adults and getting the school more 'out there'. I've been a bit disappointed with the responses so far, though had one nice woman who seemed to fit the bill. Trouble was, her English wasn't mother tongue, though more than good enough to handle the kids I have.

And there lies the dilemma. Do I take on a teacher who doesn't have MT English but is great with the kids? Or a MT-er who will surely meet the requirements of demanding parents? I'm more inclined to go with the MT-ers, because it gives my school a certain qualitative edge, but somebody decent is proving hard to come by.

And while we're on this, do people give a shit what they send via email to prospective employers these days? I mean, OK, my school isn't yet a prestigious cornerstone of the Israeli education system, but it's still a job. I'm finding it quite hysterical looking at some of the replies to my ads. Is it acceptable these days to just send an email with a CV attached, without any cover letter, note, text, nada...? Call me old fashioned, but I'd like to know why you're emailing me...

Look at this reply to my ad, this was actually one of the more wordy ones:

"Reply to your ad for english teacher. Lots experience. Please call me."

I don't think you mean "call me" mate, I think you mean "delete me, immediately".

I have a feeling this is going to take a lot longer than I thought...though if any of you know anyone who might be interested, drop me a line at the anglosaxy email address, over there on the right.