Monday, May 21, 2007

Chez Anglosaxy

OK, the favourite restaurants meme is coming your way, thank you the artist.... Would have been easier if it had been pubs, but still, I'll add an alcoholic slant...

The rules:

1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the city/state and country you’re in.
Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish] Texas, United States)
Todd (Louisville, Kentucky, United States)
miss kendra (los angeles, california, u.s.a)
Jiggs Casey (Berkeley, CA, USA! USA! USA!)
Tits McGee (New England, USA)
Kat (Ontario, Canada)
Cheezy (London, England)
tafka PP (Jerusalem, Israel)
anglosaxy (Tel Aviv, Israel)

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.
(PP rightly labelled me a Tel Avivian, so The City That Never Sleeps - here we come!)

1) Kai, Ramat HaHayall. We like saki, really. The sushi is class, too, though I don't really know my Nigirizushi from my Oshizushi. I just go with what looks good as it passes my table on the revolving thingimajib.
2) Brewhouse, Rothschild Street. Haven't been here for awhile, but always impressive, those copper pipes and urns, or whatever you call 'em. Bit pricey to be honest, but always a good place for "homemade" beer, some pipin' hot horseradish and a spot of jazz on a Friday afternoon...
3) Tapeo, HaArbaah street. I love the sangria here, knocks my socks off after 2 or 3 large glasses. Food ain't bad either, loads of tiny portions that leave you wanting more.
4) Giraffe, Ramat HaHayall. I'm a big noodles fan, but my heart is always won over by the rather juicy Portobello mushroom starter...always goes down well with a pint of something.
5) This one is for the missus: Cafe Aroma. Yep, they're springing up like frozen yoghurt outlets (72 of the feckers throughout Israel apparently), but they do serve a nice, fresh sarnie, and mrs anglosaxy is a firm fan. Even smallsville has an Aroma, although only in the last couple of months. Most used and abused in Tel Aviv: probably the one in Ibn Gvirol street, corner of Pinkas. Didn't spot any alcohol, though admittedly wasn't looking - I promise I'll do better next time.

I just wanted to give an honourable mention to the sadly departed Nargilla restaurants that used to be everywhere in Tel Aviv. Nothing like a 5am malawach topped with mushrooms and egg after a hard night's drinking...sadly missed (the hard night's drinking that is...).

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.

I'm sorry, this took way too long so I won't force anybody else to go through this. Except for shlemazl over in Canada. He likes memes. Hee hee. Sorry mate!