Sunday, August 12, 2007

New Arse

Ooooh lush! That time of the year again, when football widows sigh heavily and stare into the bottom of their wine glasses. OK, actually it started yesterday, but for us gooners, it's today...

I won't give any predictions, as I always get it wrong. As for the Arsenal, I can't help feeling a little sad that most of the Arsenal players that were truly great over the last 8 or so years (aaahhh, the Invincibles) have moved on. This summer has seen the last of the truly classy players leave Arsenal - no more Thierry (sorry Tel, your Corridor Land poster was binned), no more Freddie...and it now seems to be in the hands of the younger players, some of whom are very much still in nappies.

Keep the faith keep the faith
, I tell myself, but if I'm honest, I have to say they are missing a ton of experience. The optimism that has always met the opening day of the season is a little waned this time around, and I can't help feeling that they are falling behind some of the other top teams...and perhaps even ready to be overtaken by some of the mid-table teams...like, God forbid, [ spit, spit ] Spurs.

So, plenty of beer will have to be consumed these next few weekends, plenty of Irish pubs visited on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon...just hope my rose-tinted specs will be up for the job...