Thursday, October 25, 2007

I can just tell...

This probably sounds ravingly racist, and tarring with brushes-like, but I've had it with the Yemenite population of smallsville. After my recent ad-fest, I've had a number of calls, some from the old part of smallsville which is largely populated by Yemens. Now if I tell you, for those of you who don't know, that Yemens in Israel are about as renowned for splashing the cash as those tight-fisted Scots, it might give you an inkling...

They just live in a different era. An era when once they were royally screwed over by the powers that be in Israel, and ever since, they have a feeling that they are still being screwed and by God, they aren't going to stand for it...some of the adults I've interviewed and tested have some huuuuge chips on their shoulder, and as soon as I mention the price I see an instant change in their persona. As though they sense I'm trying to stiff them out of their hard-earned cash. If you think I'm expensive, I'm not, especially when compared to Tel Aviv.

And those Yemens that call by phone are just the same (I picked up their accent a long time ago after going out with a Yemen girl - feck me, Yemen girls are craaaazy!). They ummm and they arrr, but I just know that they'll never turn up for the interview or test or lesson we schedule. As soon as I hear that accent, I now automatically switch off. Not one Yemen that came or phoned lasted more than one lesson, if they even came for that. I did have one potential stereotype-breaker, but she never turned up for the second lesson, and wouldn't answer my calls, despite my building her a personalized Business English course. Fucker.

Let's face it, they just waste my time. They were never part of my target population anyway, because of their tight-fisted reputation, so I don't feel like I'm losing out, at all. I'll be sticking with their delish jachnuns and malawachs, but as for my school, they can forgedabowtit...