Thursday, April 10, 2008

Classroom sounds: The buzz of clippers...

Teaching Israeli third graders ain't that much fun, I can assure you. They seem to snap out of it in the fourth/fifth grades, but teaching English to third graders is a glorified term for baby-sitting.

Take this week: my school's fave student, hated loved by all, decided to outdo himself. After repeated calls to his parents over the last couple of weeks, when I diplomatically suggested he should have private lessons rather than disturb a whole group, they insisted he try one last time. So, I agreed. He came. With a pair of abandoned hair clippers he'd found outside in the street. Which he then unpacked in the class. And then plugged into the wall. And then started cutting his hair. The teacher (not me, one of my crew) chucked him out (with my blessing), or attempted to, but he wouldn't go. Calls to his parents went straight to the answering machine. So he stayed in the class, being a cheeky feck but a little scared that his parents were being contacted. To cut a long story short, his parents have still not got in touch with me after the messages I've left them...and I'm still not sure if the kid has some learning issues or is in need of some medication or is just a stupid little shit. From the one time I met him and his attempts to throw something at my car, I'm guessing it's the latter option...I'm not sure what his parents expect from me, but they can forget about any more English lessons...