Monday, June 02, 2008

Choose Life

The missus surprised me a couple of weeks back by purchasing me a year's membership to her local gym/pool/health club/whatever. I can't believe it's been over 3 years since I last "worked out" there, but then, the last 3 years have been just a tad busy...2 kids, two home moves, job change, setting up my own business, etc. Only this weekend I managed to make it for my first session, what with me and the kids being a bit under the weather lately. Twice I went, Friday and Sunday, for a swim and a sauna, and fuck me, it felt good to have the blood pumping and the heart racing.

Anyway, I've decided that I'm going to enjoy my life. How? Well, for a start, I'm steering clear of full-time work in the Tech Writing world for now - I mean, come on, what would I rather do, spend time on the beach/at the pool with the missus (in her skimpiest bikini...) and kids or worry about bullet alignment and header numbering...? I know my kids are crazy about me (yeh, yeh), as I am them, and I feel I let them down a little by not being with them as much as I could over the last year or 2. So, perhaps I can be with them a lot more and help grow them up as right proper geezers, innit. I still work as a Tech Writer of course, around 70%, but I'm hoping to whittle that down very soon. In fact, I'm almost willing myself to get sacked just so I can spend the summer taking it easy...

Easy is of course, easy to say, what with the English school still going nicely. And of course, that takes up a few extra hours here and there, hours which I'm finding myself more and more reluctant to give. So, ideas of some kind of partnership are whirling around in my brain, ideas that I'm not entirely convinced by just yet...

So, as I ramble on and on and bore you shitless, as I look forward to having a splash around in the pool with Junior and Juniorette later today, I shall leave you with the words of Mark "Rent-boy" Renton...

"Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life..."