Thursday, July 24, 2008

Slap me silly

I think the ultimate sign that you know just what you are doing in this country is when you buy a watermelon. It might be in the shuk, it might be in your local supermarket, or it might even be on the side of a highway. But if you don't know how to handle a watermelon, you're still just ranked as a silly tourist. Because it's all in the wrists you see. It's that slap or 2 with your preferred hand as you hold the watermelon in the other hand that shows you can cut the mustard. It takes years of practice, dedication, and perhaps a slice of luck. But once you can pick out a tasty watermelon from the pile of duds via a slap or two, you know you can hold your head up high.

Me, I only ever buy half a watermelon at a time, so I rarely get to practice my Benny Hill slap. And when I do get to slap, I'm still not sure I've got a clue what I'm up to...