Sunday, January 02, 2005

Bling, bling. Who is it? 2005!

2005 roars into town! Like I said before, it should be an interesting year with many things to look forward to and dread. Some of them even life-changing, I guess...

2004 whimpered out with a few beers, some of which were smuggled into the maternity ward at Beilinson Hospital. When a fellow beer drinker requests, I just can't leave the guy drooling...wherever the location. And besides, it was a celebratory session with a new baby the reason. Blimey, they look so fragile! Can't believe I might actually have to go through all that...

So, with a new year looming, what did we decide to do? Yep, move house. We've been thinking about it for a long time, but our new situation has kind of pushed things forward. So we posted an ad for our place on one of Israel's leading rental sites...and then sat back in awe at the deluge of calls...I'm just surprised that people are prepared to pay so much for so little, though we do have a cute little garden (built by yours truly), which ain't that common in Tel Aviv. But $720 for 2.5 rooms (rooms, not bedrooms)? Are you fecking nuts?

And there's no holding back the feckers, calls on Friday at 5pm (in Israel, this hour is a definite no-go area, as most of the country is snoozing its weekly siesta session), Saturday morning at 10am.
"Sorry, did I wake you up?"
*rubs eyes* "Yep"
"OK, I'll call back later"
"Yep" Grrrr.

And the preferred new location for the anglosaxies? Well, I could say Shanghai, London or Rosh Pina, but it looks like it'll be much closer to Tel Aviv. I'd actually prefer to stay in a good area of Tel Aviv but it's just too expensive. We're looking at a few places, like Kiryat Ono and Rosh Ha'ayin, but, to be honest, I'm a little worried about becoming mr. suburbia...

Anyway, from my original 'home town', how to put your sofa to good use, if you're a chavvy thieving bastard...