Monday, March 20, 2006

Pooped

[ cough, splutter ]

For over 2 weeks now I've felt like crap. I don't ever recall being sick for so long. Lethargic, stuffed sinuses (I won't tell you about the gunge I've been blowing out of my nose), smokers cough that has been killing me every night, it's all been a bundle of laughs round our way. After 6 hours teaching English yesterday afternoon/evening, my throat decided to up the ante and inject a wince of pain upon each and every swallow. So, this morning, it was my second visit to the Doc within the last 2 weeks, an eclipsical-type occurrence for me. A bit off-putting that the Doc remembered me - could it be down to my fresh blond/ginger locks (I forgot to mention that for Purim I tried to dye my hair grey - I've ended up looking like a human golden retriever), or simply that he thinks I'm a bit of a wuss? Well, just as long as he slips me the sick note, I'm really not too bothered.

I'm writing this in bed, thanks to the wonders of wireless, before mrs. anglosaxy gets back from work and repeats her mantra that I need to hire a teacher to help me out. Because, quite frankly, I'm working my ass off these days with very little time to play. It's all a flurry of lesson plans, building new worksheets, and handling problematic students (the geeky kid has moved classes yet again after bursting into tears at the end of a lesson last week). Plus I have Corridor Land to keep happy and the little junior dude to keep my evenings occupied. All a bit bleedin' exhausting. OK, OK, so I'll get a teacher.

A friend told me that I was spreading myself too thin and I laughed it off. Well, guess she was right, the old body is winking and nudging me in the ribs and trying to convince me that I need to chill out a bit. I can hear a holiday on the beaches of an exotic island beckoning. Or is that the squawk of the onset of bird flu? That chicken soup the mother-in-law was rather too quick to hand deliver suddenly seems to have a lot to answer for...