Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Seriously now...

Don't mind me, I just need to say something...

To be honest, I feel very disconnected from this recent war and its now nervy cease-fire. At its onset, yeh, I felt a connection with the Holy Land, but recently...

I'm trying to think why and it's probably because of a number of reasons: 1) I'm very busy at the moment with the schools, 2) my area of Israel (the center) didn't experience any of what the North has been through the last month, and 3) I'm just not Israeli enough.

I feel detached. Despite mrs. anglosaxy's brother serving up near the border (he's an officer in the reserves) and her stressing out because of it, despite my tearful new cellmate's boyfriend being sent up there last week, despite the constant media barrage every night, I still feel like this is a war that somehow doesn't belong to me, doesn't have anything to do with me. Does that make me a cold hearted bastard? I'm not sure.

The problem is, in times of trouble, I don't feel particularly enamored with this country. I'm not Jewish, I don't have this burning Zionist blood whizzing through my veins. You won't hear any "We will win/we shall overcome" bursts from me. I'm just this regular Brit geezer who found himself a life here. There are a lot of great things about this country, it's just when the shit hits the fan, as it regularly does in this neck of the woods, living that life becomes a wee bit harder.

I won't go into the politics of this war, though I'm totally in favour of Israel's recent actions. In fact, I believe they should have gone in much harder and with more focused, pinpoint missions. This was a war Israel was never going to win. So many lives were lost, needlessly. So many young soldiers, so many reservists, young Dads like me, heartbroken families at home. Which brings me to my next point...

Money time comes when I sit and watch the bundle of fun that is junior. It tears me up to think that this little blighter might well have to go through all this bloodshed again, and quite possibly on the front line. I'm sorry, but it makes me want to pack the fuck up and get as far away from here as I possibly can. Not right now, of course, but an exit is out there and it has the anglosaxy name on it. Of course, I'm not so naive to realize that a move away will only make him lust after Israel even more, something that only a good slapping / Muslim girlfriend / Arsenal season ticket will take care of. Better get saving if it's going to be the season-ticket...

It kinda saddens me to write all this, because I feel my connection to this country, not that it's been too strong lately anyway, is being severed, thread by thread. And I'm not sure just how many threads remain...