Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Month 2 almost over

Soon moving into my third month at Open Spacey, things are beginning to take shape. And I'm not too convinced I like the shape...OK, most of the people are actually awright innit, and usually respond to a "Morning!" or whatever other greeting I can chuck at them, and I've actually had more "shared" lunches with these guys than I had in all my years at Corridor Land.

But...there's a few things that I ain't too keen on. I won't get too specific, but the product I have to document is a motherfucker. A tedious motherfucker. If I tell you that in the current monster of a user guide (300 pages) there is approx. 30 images, the rest is text, code, tables etc etc...so you can imagine, it ain't too user friendly. I told the boss that after a week sitting on it I still have no idea how it works. He replied that if I know something after 2 years it'll be good...There's also a ton of work on other smaller products and they just keep piling it on...don't they know it just ain't me? I've actually got to work at this place and I just ain't used to it...

It's also very startuppey, which is something I always wanted. But that means you're on your own a lot more - for example, no pampering from IT departments who'd quickly slot in some RAM if I needed it. Here I have to go find a screwdriver, get on my hands and knees and do it myself. I better not mention the software cracks, coz that's Israeli startups for you...

So, all in all, still not sure. But really not intending to make this my home for a serious amount of time, so not too worried...it pays the bills for now and the school is growing in the meantime, so...