Thursday, January 15, 2004

Diversion tactics

My company has decided to ask us drones to give our input for the next 'cool' (in their words) feature. We all received a very happy and joyful email, nicely formatted and decorated with cute smilies, that invites us to send in our 'cool' ideas. The winner will receive a 'cool' prize (their words again...). I saw that 'prize' line and had to smile...perhaps the prizewinner gets to keep their job for the next year?

I'm not one to be suspicious, but the words 'diversion tactics' spring to mind here...whatever happened to that last quarter of 2003 which supposedly hauled in quite a bounty and those subsequent promises of renewing the January pay reviews? (In my 3 years here I have never had the joy to experience one, though legend has it they did actually occur; pay cuts I have had the fortune to experience, twice....) Now, I'm aware that the economy in this country could be better and there are many people who would gladly swap seats with me (even in a windowless corridor), but I believe that it's a two-way street: I'll put the graft in as long as you don't shit on me from a great height. Me, I lose all trust in a company that constantly reneges on its promises...

Anyway, on that 'grumpy bastard' note, I have 3 lessons today, the sun is shining and it's Thursday...roll on the weekend!