Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Giants and dwarves!

Ha, ha! I've just been learning about a traditional kids game that they play in Israel at this time of the year called Giants and Dwarves (it's 'Purim' next week, time for costume competitions and sweets).

So, to celebrate the festivities, my office has decided that everyone will be a Anak (Giant) and a Gamad (Dwarf). I'm not sure as to the reasons for these names, but basically it means that I will be drawn a name from a hat, and that person will be my Anak for the week (I will be their Gamad...ok then...). This means that I have to treat them to something every day, usually sweets. That same person will also be given a name, and so it goes on throughout the office...The trick is to keep it all secret, so nobody knows who is giving who treats. I've already promised O - the vodka-toting Ruskie - some mini-vodka bottles if I get her name, so not too sure this secrecy bit is a goer...

First time I've ever heard of this game: there I was thinking I had to go and find a height-disadvantaged person in the office (I'm a fairly lanky bastard so presumed I was a Giant...) and take them out for a beer all next week...actually that sounds like a MUCH better idea...