Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Grrrrrrrr...

No rest for the wicked - next month (March) I shall be frequenting my corridor every day. That's right, every single day. We have a big deadline at the start of April, so I reluctantly agreed to help my boss out - there is a ton of documentation to get out and a load of online Help to finish. Of course, if the software had been developed according to the milestones and there weren't so many bugs to fix, I might just have managed to handle the load part-time. But the lethal combination of Hi-Tech and Israeli slackness ("forget about it until the next version, nobody will notice...") has struck again. I'm not putting this down as a particularly 'Israeli' thing, it's just that I've worked for companies in Israel where the professionalism has been exceedingly high, even stiflingly high, but you could count the native Israelis amongst the workforce on one hand. When you are the only English speaker in a company of 80 in downtown Tel Aviv, you see the difference...worst thing is, my own professionalism has taken a [huge] dive as a result: "You want that by this afternoon? Tomorrow mate, tomorrow..."

Anyway, that means that my progress into the English teaching world will be fairly limited in March, though I'll continue with the paying students I have by taking 'long' lunch breaks...ahem...