Friday, February 13, 2004

Market tour 2004

Last night: Carmel market, Tel Aviv
This morning: Rosh Ha'ayin market

I actually enjoy going to some of Israel's markets, in particular Tel Aviv's fabled Carmel market. Last night, on the way back from my English lessons, I stopped off there for some beers and vegetables (of course, the beers were priority No. 1...). The range of colors, smells and noises culminate in a senses overkill - just don't go down the backstreet meat section when they're hosing down the roads...the stench is repulsive and, hey, watch out for those floating beaks and chicken feet...y-u-m-m-y...I've actually cut down on my visits to the local supermarkets and regularly visit the Carmel market instead, it's so much cheaper and the experience is more enjoyable. Where else could you get cursed at by the market seller for daring to pick out his ripest, juiciest tomatoes?

This morning, mrs. anglosaxy decided she wanted to see the market in Rosh Ha'ayin, so off we went. I think it was the second time we'd been, but it's not bad, if not quite on a par with the Carmel market. What caught me off guard today was the number of people who just barged into both me and the missus, without even blinking. I know it was very crowded, I hadn't forgotten I'm in Israel, AND I know people are doing their Friday shopping. But when mrs. anglosaxy gets to comment on the range of pointed elbows prodding into her, I know we are really in trouble...

Thinking about it now, could it be that the Carmel market is a watered down version of an authentic Israeli market, catering for tourists and those soft Tel Aviv yuppies (you can probably count me as one of those...)? I mean the food and clothes are the same, but the people are different - both those selling and those buying. The people in Rosh Ha'ayin seemed a little rougher, 'we take no bullshit' kind of people...or maybe I was just being too sensitive? Maybe I don't really experience the real Israel in Tel Aviv? Who knows...

Anyway, Mr Tuborg is calling my name and he's brought his brothers with him...