Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Dead Sea day trip

So good to be back in the office...thought I'd make the most of my time and update you on our daytrip.

Yesterday we drove down to the Dead Sea, it was well worth the effort (about 2.5 hours each way). I love the Dead Sea. It always reminds me of how amazing Israel is, especially the natural beauty and range of landscapes that you pass on your way from Tel Aviv to the Dead Sea; natural sand dunes, Beduin villages, camels out grazing... and then you descend down to some 400 metres below sea level amidst impressive hills and mountains. When you are cooped up in an office in Tel Aviv, you sure don't appreciate all that Israel has to offer...

There's nothing like floating in the Dead Sea itself, totally relaxing. You can really let go, relax your whole body and just let the water carry you...an unbelievable experience. What always amazes me is the natural pull at your legs as you walk into the water - as you get deeper you actually have to make an effort to stay standing, otherwise your legs will be taken away from you. Just a word of warning: don't shave before entering the water and DON'T LET ANY WATER GET IN YOUR EYES - it stings like hell (I can verify that...)!

I didn't get a shot of me reading the newspaper, but mrs. anglosaxy went for the arty, lopsided shot of me floating...


Upon exiting the water, wait a few minutes as you soak in some rays. You'll soon be delighted to see yourself turn into a walking bag of salt as the salt encrusts all over your body. A little bit of vinegar and I swear mrs. anglosaxy would have started chomping away on my arm (she's rather too keen on salt and vinegar crisps...).


If you have a chance, take a drive around the coast, it is simply amazing. My picture hardly does it justice...


And then on the drive home, don't forget to take in some of the sites, such as this field of flowers near Kiryat Gat.


Ahh, the Dead Sea...we'll be back.