Friday, April 30, 2004

Final fourdom

Being a Brit (meaning: clueless about basketball), I'm not sure quite why there is such an interest in the Final Four being played in Tel Aviv (the final is tomorrow night). OK, there is an element of national pride involved, that I can understand, but the general hysteria that seemed prevalent around Tel Aviv yesterday afternoon, as queues of traffic crawled home early from work in order to make the game, seemed a little over the top. It almost seemed like the eve of a holiday, with businesses closing early and the traffic snarling...I had a 'business' meeting yesterday with a 'guru', who gave me some excellent ideas for my English school (watch this space), but could we find somewhere quiet to sit and have a beer and a chat? Could we 'eck. We ended up back in his office, cold ones in tow...

Now, if we were talking about the beautiful game, the one where hands are prohibited, then all this fuss would seem warranted. Could it be that Israelis are only interested in a sport where they actually do achieve something? I caught some of the previous day's football game between Israel and Moldova and was amazed at the empty stands, a complete contrast to yesterday and what I'm sure is to come on Saturday night. After 10 minutes of a terrible game, I understood why...

Wok boarding. Now this would provide a healthy alternative to final four-ing...

Meanwhile, we are putting our place up for rent this weekend, while I build a business plan...
< hands in head, fingers drumming on cheek > only problem now is location, location, location... < / hands in head, fingers drumming on cheek >. I'm sure the pool session accompanied with some yeasty-like substances in green bottles planned for later tonight will prove inspirational.