Monday, April 19, 2004

Holocaust Day

One hour ago the sirens were sounded, reminding us that it is Holocaust Day here in Israel. Even as a non-Jew I find this quite an essential part of what 'is' Israel and what must never be forgotten...the wail of the siren always makes me reflect on some of the films and documentaries that are broadcast ('The Pianist' last night was very moving...). And nearly always, a little old lady I met a few years ago pops into my head. She was probably my first encounter with a Holocaust survivor and I was really moved by meeting her. She wasn't shy about showing me the number tattooed on her wrist but she didn't want to talk about her experiences...

The Israelis amongst you might be interested to know that the Holocaust is taught at schools in England, I actually studied Thomas Keneally's 'Schindler's List' for 'A' Level English (before the movie of course).