Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Appreciated but...

Ever received a gift that failed to press your buttons? A gift that didn't really suit your needs? A gift that was the cheaper, lower quality version of the item you were about to buy for yourself anyway? And how do you respond upon receiving such a gift when a horde of beady eyes are waiting for your reaction as you open your 'surprise' present?

Well, I fucked up last night. After finishing teaching in Rosh Ha'ayin, I met up with mrs. anglosaxy at her brother's place. I was soon presented with a small box in thanks for helping his kids out with their English. Unwrapping the box, I was delighted to see an MP3 player - but my joy was stifled when I saw it was of the Flash Disk variety. This thing can hold about 50 songs - after the first long train/bus ride in China I'm sure I'm going to be bored with the collection of songs I can store on it - and how do I choose 50 of my favourite songs anyway? As a lover of music, trying to explain to someone that doesn't 'get it' that 50 songs really isn't enough is an impossible task. So, mrs. anglosaxy was very pissed at me, for not faking enough unbridled joy...I had actually told her that I was going to buy an MP3 player as a hint NOT to buy me one as a surprise present (birthday coming up...) - I've seen the mothballs in her wallet and knew the MP3 player I might end up with...

Not sure whether to gracefully hand it back and say 'thanks, but no thanks...' or stick it out and make the most of it. Maybe I'm just an ungrateful git after all...