Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Small world

It always amazes me what a small country Israel is. You can always bump into someone who knows someone you know. And often at the worst possible time. Yesterday on my way in to the first interview, there I was entering the car park when a security guard came running up, smiling as he pointed at the company logo on my car: "Ah, [my company's name], my brother works there!". A little alarm bell went off in my head, since this was a discreet, covert operation, but any fears were soon laid to rest when I thought about it some more. Did the guy have my name? Nope. Did he have an inkling that I was there on an interview? Probably not.

Second interview, some hours later. There I was talking about a certain something or other, when I mentioned "a friend", without giving her name. "What's her name?". "L" I replied. "Do you mean L**** ******* ?" "Er, yes" but thinking to myself 'just how the hell do you know her?'...this was like talking about 'John' from London (a certain John Smith) and then being asked if I meant John Smith...

I guess this is why I should make a nice, unhostile break from the corridor of power, because the chances that somebody will know somebody further down the line are reasonably high...though if things get cheeky I know I can always don my cheeky b*stard (CB) superhero cape. Haven't used it for a while, but it might just get an outing soon...all I need to complete the outfit is a CB belt buckle. By the way lads, you should try red tights sometime, very becoming...