Monday, January 17, 2005

Just when you think you've turned the corner

So, I've pretty much decided to commit myself to the corridor for the next 3 or 4 months because of an impending project that I would actually love to get my teeth into. I've also been doing a lot of thinking recently, what with the shake up my life will be going through this year, and realised that this place, however much it sucks, can actually benefit me in some ways. I've seen a range of what's out there at the moment, and not been that impressed - at least at the corridor I can come and go as I please, do as much, or as little, work as I want and don't have to prove myself for the next year. The bosses here genuinely like me as well - when I told my boss that I was going to be a daddy, she actually cried - get a grip woman! It also gives me enough free time to build a small English school, which is in progress as we speak. Believe it or not, I've actually come in to work lately with a much lighter heart. Maybe I've just got used to bitching too much...

But then, the last 2 days have also given us the downside of the corridor...

Yesterday was salary review day (but not for me, and I'm not that intrigued as to why not) and a chance for my boss to invite a couple of corridor colleagues in for a grilling. N, who is very heavily pregnant, was beaten around the head with a blunt instrument (or so it seemed) and came out bawling. Apparently, my boss isn't happy with her and she won't be getting a raise as the salary review is based on future potential and not the last 4 years of cutbacks and stress. Utter bollox. Mmm, and why bother with the meeting? Oh, that's right, you really care about the workers...

Today it was the turn of G, my Man United nemesis, to reveal that's he off in a month. He has had enough of waking up in the morning and dreading coming in to work. This guy started the same week as me, some 4 years ago, and has proven to be a pretty decent mate (apart from the liking Man United bit...). He's religiously observant, and lunch with him can be a pain because he'll only eat in strictly kosher places, but a great guy. We've also been to each other's houses for 'beer and footie' sessions, but never on a Saturday because he's unreachable on Shabbat. I guess it's funny to some, having a connection with someone religious, me being a goy and all, but I never look at the religion of a person to determine whether or not we're going to be mates. I'd like to think he was of a similar thinking. Good luck to ya, mate.