Wednesday, January 12, 2005

My apologies to the Chang family

Last night I had my weekly 3 lesson session in Rosh Ha'ayin. I know I shouldn't, but *takes off black hat and cape and puts cane to one side* sometimes I just can't stop myself from cracking up...

The guy I teach is getting much better, especially when he misses his train in the mornings (it gives him an extra 20 minutes reading practice), but he still comes out with some corkers. I love watching his face as he ponders a word and then it suddenly clicks and he almost shouts out the word with joy! Not always correctly, I might add...

We were doing a reading exercise with the Chang family when we came across the mother, Grace Chang. I was just about to explain to him that Chang wasn't a common Western name, but noticed that his eyes had already narrowed. A bead of sweat popped up on his brow, and all fell silent...

And then it came:

"Junky Chunky!"

What else can you do but laugh? Hysterically.