Monday, January 15, 2007

Finally...but...

Looks like I might have found myself a manager type for the school down south. We've almost shaken hands on a deal which keeps both of us happy. And she's going to have to sign a contract, because there's no way I'm falling for more Nasty Teach. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will work out in the next couple of days.

However...and wasn't it obvious that there is a "however"...the previous owner of the school (who now lives in the UK) decided to send me an angry email a couple of days ago. Maybe I should explain...

I bought the school for peanuts back in the summer. Because of the low price, we agreed (in writing) that I would give her 50% of any profits made until the end of 2006. She's apparently upset that I haven't responded to her "numerous emails" (complete bollox, she hasn't even written one email to me since I last contacted her in October) to discuss our final payment and to officially "handover" the school. It's not like she hasn't got my mobile number, or the address of the school, if she was that keen she could have got hold of me - according to her, I'm actually now running the school "illegally". Which I find kinda incredible because I'm not trying to get out of paying her what's due...

This all stinks to me. Seems like she's decided to remember who I am and that there is a possibility of some cash when she needs it...when I needed her promised assistance, she never even responded. Now she's making me out to be the bad guy and I find that very shitty. I sent her a polite but peeved email back, letting her know that thanks to her lack of assistance and thanks to her recommending Nasty Teach, she shouldn't be anticipating a winter holiday in the Caribbean...

I have a question though: if a "ballpark" figure (for example purposes only, 10,000) is mentioned in purchasing, but the contract only states my initial payment (for example purposes only, 1,000) and the splitting of profits 50-50, does she have any legal rights to demand the difference between the sum mentioned and the total sum (deposit plus profit split)accrued up to 31.12.06 (for example purposes only, 5,000)?

I never expected this to be a picnic, but the attitude I've encountered in the Israeli business world, and in particular, from fellow anglos, has left me a little disappointed. But you know what, it's also left me a little tougher...fuck 'em all.