Friday, September 26, 2008

Macca's alright!

Well, the show was great in the end. Paul McCartney was just a few metres in front of me (OK, quite a few metres), a Beatle, a living fecking legend. At one point, he threw in some very ropey solo songs that nobody knew (one guy in front of us even fell sleep on the grass, only to wake up for the encores) and, frankly, were complete tosh. But when he pumped out the classics, feck, they were good! Hey Jude accompanied by the crowd, who were left singing on their own until the band came back on stage for yet another encore, Live and Let Die accompanied by a firework show, and Give Peace a Chance were my faves. 40,000 turned up for the show, some paid very big bucks to see this, we of course, paid absolutely nothing...though some guys got even luckier than us...

Macca, I had my doubts you could still do it, but I was proved wrong. I may actually go out and buy another Beatles CD now...and although his wishes for peace might be a bit naive, there's just something blood-tingingly amazing about seeing so many people scream and shout as one, so perhaps he ain't so naive. Maybe music is bigger and more powerful than all that politics and religion shite...

This is the opening of the show, the screams are giving me goosebumps every time...